An Electrician in San Diego Explains The Dangers of Cloth Insulated Wiring
Although cloth-insulated wiring has not been use since before the 1950s, it is still found in homes that were built before this time. Despite the fact that it is insulated with cloth, rather than more modern insulators, cloth-insulated wiring can look very similar to other types of wiring, making it difficult for the average homeowner to detect. Despite its similar appearance, homes with cloth insulated wiring are at a very high risk for dangerous electrical mishaps, including shock, fire and even death.
Is Your Wiring Cloth-Insulated?
If you live in a home that was constructed prior to 1950, and your wiring appears as if it has not been replaced since, then you probably have cloth-insulated wiring. The best way to determine whether or not you have this outdated technology in your home is to have Green Electric Solutions, your San Diego Electrician, come out to perform a free electrical safety assessment. We can take a quick look at your wiring to determine whether or not it is safe and ok to remain in place.
Why Is It Dangerous?
Unlike modern insulation materials, cloth insulation is known to deteriorate, causing it to fall off of the wiring. This is dangerous because it leaves the wiring exposed. As a result, it is much easier for both people and objects to come into this exposed wiring. Whenever this happens, the person who touches it can be shocked, or a fire can be caused when the wires short and spark. Furthermore, cloth-insulated systems are typically ungrounded, leading to decreased safety and continuity of your electrical current.
At Green Electric Solutions, we highly recommend that you have any potentially cloth-insulated electrical systems inspected, replaced and repaired. When left in place, this outdated wiring technology is very dangerous, and potentially deadly.